Recipe for egg and dairy free summer biscuits
These are the most delicious and aromatic biscuits, and the best part is these biscuits are totally dairy free… no butter or milk, and they are eggless. The biscuit dough is a not a smooth pliable dough, due to the presence of semolina. When you make the biscuits there will be cracks and that is normal, once baked, the outside texture is crisp, and the inside is soft. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled and then stored in an airtight container to be wrapped beautifully and gifted to your family, friends and relatives.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 10-12 biscuits
- 1 cup semolina/rava
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil or any odourless oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tbsp flax seed powder + 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 or 2 tbsp water for binding the dough
- dissolve 3 tbsp water in flax seed powder and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- sieve the semolina.
- mix all the dry ingredients together.
- add the oil to the dry ingredients
- add the flaxseed paste.
- thoroughly mix the whole mixture well.
- add 1 or 2 tbsp water to bind the dough. the dough does not bind well. so some water needs to be added.
- now take medium size balls from the dough like we do for rotis.
- flatten these and arrange them on a greased or lined baking tray.
- bake at 150 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or till the biscuits become golden brown.
Who was the lucky recipient of your summer biscuits? Let us know on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest... Happy Baking! : )